Leave No Trace Trainer Course
WHEN: Friday, April 7 - Sunday, April 9, 2017.
Where: Camp Birch
COST: The cost of the course will be $50 if paid by March 15, and $60 after March 15 (cost subject to change). This will include meals from cracker barrel Friday night thru breakfast Sunday. Camping fees and take home teaching resource materials are also included. The last day to register is March 26.
Why: This course will give Participants the tools to teach up to a 1-day Leave No Trace training seminar. This course is a requirement for the new Boy Scout Troop Leave No Trace Leadership position. Scouts must be 14 to receive the Certificate from the Leave No Trace Center.
- Be a registered Boy Scout and have a copy of a current Class 3 medical form.
- The Guide to Safe Scouting and all Youth Protection rules will be observed.
- Participants assume all risks associated with travel, camping, hiking, and participating in the course.
- Participants must attend the entire course, participate, and do a Leave No Trace presentation
- Both adult Scout leaders and 14 or older Scouts are welcome
- Scouts need Scoutmaster approval and each youth must also have a least one adult with them from their Unit.
- Youth must be willing and able to conduct themselves appropriately for tightly scheduled and highly interactive essentially adult training experience. Also Scouts will need to make their presentation in front of their small group.
- Learn about BSA Leave No Trace Patches and Recognition which can be earned
- Be taught by Leave No Trace Master Educators
- Give an 8 to 10 minute presentation related to Leave No Trace to their small group
- Have a chance to network with other participants interested in Leave No Trace
- Receive some resource materials to run their own training seminars
- Receive a Certificate from the Leave No Trace Center of Outdoor Ethics
- Be expected to set a good example of Leave No Trace Ethics
- Be expected to teach Leave No Trace ethics to their Scouting Units and others
This course uses overnight camping experiences to help participants understand the practical aspects of Leave No Trace. Therefore everyone needs to have basic camping experience, equipment, and clothing for camping in Ohio’s April weather.
This course doesn’t teach general outdoor skills.
Everyone will be camping in the frontcountry (car camping) Friday night. There will be an opportunity for either frontcountry or backcountry (backpacking to the campsite) Saturday night. Backcountry campers will be backpacking about a ¼ mile over flat ground to and from the campsite.
Difference in the training provided and there will be discussion on both. Remember almost all Boy Scout camping is frontcountry.
Registration will start at 6:30 p.m. on Friday and classroom instruction starting at 7. The course will conclude with graduation at approximately 1 p.m. on Sunday.
You may register for this training online for $50.00 starting 1 Jan 2017 thru 15 March. Late registration fee is $60.00 for the period of 16 March until the closed of Registration on March 26, 2017.
There will be a 25 participant limit.
For more information, contact Irv Martin at email@example.com or 937-426-4985.